The craziness is about to begin with the Chargers officially in their 2024 offseason.
Monday, the day after the 2023 NFL regular season ended, brought with it the litany of reports regarding interview requests for those teams who are in the market for new coaches and general managers. Unfortunately for the Chargers, they’re in the market for both!
Over the coming weeks, expect to hear reports on all the big names, including the Bears’ Ian Cunningham, the 49ers’ Adam Peters, the Browns’ Glenn Cook, as well as some names not yet heard connected to the Chargers.
The Chargers certainly need a shift from the way they went about things during the Tom Telesco era. Will the Chargers be able to find exactly what they’re looking for?
Below, we’ll be keeping a tracker of all the rumors and reports coming out about the Chargers and their search for their next head coach!
Wednesday, January 24th
- The Chargers are expected to meet with Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz for a second interview on Wednesday
The #Chargers will bring #Ravens Director of Player Personnel Joe Hortiz in for a second, in-person GM interview tomorrow, sources say. They had #Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown in today.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 25, 2024
The new GM will work with Jim Harbaugh.
Tuesday, January 23rd
- The Chargers are bringing in Giants assistant general manager Brandon Brown for a second interview.
While talks continue with Jim Harbaugh, the #Chargers are also moving forward in their general manager search: #Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown is in L.A. today for a second interview, per sources. A rising young executive.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) January 24, 2024
Monday, January 22nd
- The Chargers are interviewing NFL Chief Football Administrative Officer Dawn Aponte for their vacant general manager position.
The #Chargers are interviewing NFL Chief Football Administrative Officer Dawn Aponte for their vacant GM job, source said.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 22, 2024
The former #Dolphins EVP of Football Administration, she has worked at the league office as a high-ranking official since 2017.
Friday, January 19th
- The Chargers completed an interview with Bears co-director of player personnel Jeff King for their general manager opening. He has been with the Bears since 2015 where he started as an intern.
Wednesday, January 17
- The Chargers are interviewing Saints VP/assistant general manager Jeff Ireland for their general manager opening.
More interviews: #Saints VP/assistant GM Jeff Ireland interviews with the #Chargers for their GM job today. ... #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn interviews with the #Titans and #Panthers today. https://t.co/c45EQ70MtO— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 17, 2024
- The Chargers completed an interview with Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds. He has been in the role since the 2018 season.
Tuesday, January 16th
- The Chargers completed an interview with Bills director of player personnel Terrence Gray for their general manager opening.
Sunday, January 14th
- The Chargers completed an interview with Bears assistant general manager Ian Cunningham for their vacant general manager position. Cunningham spent his time coming up in the NFL with notable stints as a member of the Ravens and Eagles.
Friday, January 12th
- With the Commanders reportedly set to hire Adam Peters as their next general manager, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that Washington’s other top candidate, Ian Cunningham, is still in the mix for the Chargers’ general manager opening
- The Chargers are reportedly meeting with Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds on Wednesday.
Colts’ assistant general manager Ed Dodds met with the Raiders yesterday, and will do the same with the Panthers on Sunday and then the Chargers on Wednesday, per source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 13, 2024
- The Chargers have completed an interview with Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz. Hortiz has been in the role for five seasons and has 26 total years of experience at the NFL level.
Thursday, January 11th
- The Chargers completed an interview with Brandon Brown for their general manager vacancy
Wednesday, January 10th
- The Chargers completed an in-house interview with interim general manager JoJo Wooden for their general manager vacancy.
Tuesday, January 9th
- The Chargers have requested an interview with Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray. Gray has been with the Bills since 2017 and was the team’s assistant director of player personnel from 2020-2022.
- The Chargers have put in a request to interview Giants assistant general manager Brandon Brown for their general manager vacancy. Brown spent five years with the Eagles prior to being in New York where he was the director of player personnel in 2021.
- The Chargers have put in a request to interview 49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters for their general manager vacancy. He’s been with San Francisco since 2017 and spent the previous eight years in various roles with the Broncos.
49ers ass't GM Adam Peters will interview for the Commanders head of football ops job tonight in Miami, per sources. The Raiders and Chargers also requested permission to interview Peters for their GM jobs, I'm told.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) January 9, 2024
Peters will meet with Josh Harris, Bob Myers & Rick Spielman.
- The Chargers are interviewing Saints vice president and assistant general manager Jeff Ireland for their general manager vacancy. Ireland was previously the general manager for the Dolphins from 2008-2013.
#Saints VP and assistant GM for college personnel Jeff Ireland was requested to interview for the vacant #Chargers GM position, per me and @TomPelissero. Prior to stocking the New Orleans roster, he was the #Dolphins GM.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 9, 2024
- The Chargers are reportedly expected to interview Bears co-director of player personnel Jeff King for their general manager vacancy. He’s been with the Bears since 2015 in a variety of roles. As a player, King played eight years as a tight for both the Panthers and Cardinals.
Bears co-director of player personnel Jeff King will interview for the Chargers GM vacancy, per source. A former pro tight end, King started in Chicago as a pro scout in 2016 and has worked his way up the rankings within the organization.— Lindsey Thiry (@LindseyThiry) January 10, 2024