Today, one of the greatest Chargers and NFL players of all time turns 42. That player, is LaDainian Tomlinson. So first off, Happy Birthday, LT!
So let’s take today to relive some of the greatest moments from his illustrious career with the Chargers. Go watch his highlight videos. Go watch the moment he set the single-season touchdown down record against the Broncos in 2006. Go watch him juke and jive his way to being the NFL’s MVP.
HBD @LT_21 pic.twitter.com/M23xhhP2Hq— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) June 23, 2021
For those who have been living under a rock this entire century, here’s a short list of LT’s career accomplishments:
- Single-season record for rushing touchdowns (28) and total touchdowns (31)
- 2006 NFL MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, Walter Payton Man of the Year, First-Team All-Pro
- 5x Pro Bowler (2002, 2004-2007)
- NFL rushing leader (2006, 2007)
- NFL rushing touchdown leader (2004, 2006, 2007)
- Tied the NFL record with 18-straight games with a touchdown
- San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers Hall of Fame
- NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame (2017)
- NFL 2000’s All-Decade Team
- His No. 21 jersey retired by the Chargers
- Doak Walker Award winner (2000)
- Consensus All-American at TCU (2000)
- Held the NCAA single-game rushing record with 406 yards (1999)
- TCU retired his No. 5 jersey
Tomlinson finished his 11-year career with 13,684 rushing yards (fifth in NFL history), 145 rushing touchdowns (second), and 162 total touchdowns (third). His 624 receptions at the time of his retirement was also the third-most by a running back ever.
Your favorite RB’s favorite RB. Happy 42nd birthday to LaDainian Tomlinson! @LT_21— NFL Throwback (@nflthrowback) June 23, 2021
⚡️ 2006 NFL MVP
⚡️ 13,684 rushing yards + 4,772 receiving yards
⚡️ 162 career touchdowns
⚡️ 31 touchdowns in 2006 (NFL record) pic.twitter.com/wH8ZVdD0cR
This man single-handedly turned a young boy from Iowa into a Chargers fan who hasn’t ever looked back. One sight at his blacked-out visor and I was done for. One of the coolest things I’d ever seen. And now look at me, sitting here celebrating his career with all of you.
That’s an inspirational and influential player.
Happy Birthday, LT.