Training camp is officially over for the 2020 season and the final deadline for teams to cut down to 53 players is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 5 at 1 p.m. PT.
Some teams have already begun the process, but most will take all the time they can to ensure they find the right 53 players for their roster.
With it having been such an unusual offseason for everyone, will this be the year the Chargers don’t sign an undrafted free agent? They’re currently on a 23-year streak of doing just that, but not many UDFAs — aside from one of the two fullbacks — has that great of an opportunity to stick around.
Time will tell.
Stay up to date here as we track all the moves made by the Chargers over what should be a very eventful weekend in the NFL.
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
Saturday, September 5, 4:00 PM ET: Roster must be down to 53 players.
Sunday, September 6, 12:00 PM ET: NFL waiver wire claims will be revealed after this point.
Sunday, September 6, 1:00 PM ET: 16-player practice squads can start to be formed.
- The Chargers have released UDFA fullback Bobby Holly. He was battling Gabe Nabers for the starting job.
Undrafted rookie Bobby Holly has been released by Chargers, per source. He was in a close battle for fullback job— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) September 4, 2020
- The Chargers are releasing OT Ryan Roberts, WR Dalton Schoen, and Derrick Gore
Good morning #Chargers fans. Teams have until 4pm ET today to trim down to 53. Here's what we know so far:— Michael Peterson (@ZoneTracks) September 5, 2020
- FB Bobby Holly - per @GManzano24
- WR Darius Jennings - per @JeffMillerLAT and I
- RB Derrick Gore
- OT Ryan Roberts
- WR Dalton Schoen
- OG Nate Gilliam (PS)
#Chargers are moving on from RB Derrick Gore, per source.— IG: JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) September 5, 2020
- Chargers cut OG Nate Gilliam. He’s expected to be placed on the practice squad.
The Los Angeles Chargers will release OL Nate Gilliam, a source tells @YahooSports. Practice squad candidate if he clears waivers.— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) September 5, 2020
- The Chargers have released UDFA DT Breiden Fehoko. He quickly became a fan favorite from Hard Knocks. The team wants to keep him on the practice squad.
Undrafted rookie NT Breiden Fehoko was waived by Chargers, per source. The “Hard Knocks” star impressed his coaches and teammates, but #Chargers are deep at defensive line. Team wants him back for practice squad— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) September 5, 2020
- The Chargers have released former Eastern Michigan CB Kevin McGill.
Undrafted rookie CB Kevin McGill was released by #Chargers, per source— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) September 5, 2020
- Chargers have cut RB Darius Bradwell and FB Gabe Nabers. The expectation is Nabers will land on the team’s practice squad and be brought up for when the team plans to utilize him in their game plan on a week-to-week basis.
Undrafted rookie RB Darius Bradwell was waived by #Chargers, per source— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) September 5, 2020
- The Chargers have cut OG/C Ryan Groy. He’s likely making it on the practice squad as a veteran stash.
#Chargers are releasing C/G Ryan Groy, per source. A seven-year vet.— Daniel Popper (@danielrpopper) September 5, 2020
- The Chargers are letting go of LB Asmar Bilal but he’s likely headed to the practice squad
#Chargers are waiving LB Asmar Bilal, but he will join the practice squad if he clears waivers, per source.— Daniel Popper (@danielrpopper) September 5, 2020
- The Chargers have released WR/PR Darius Jennings