The NFL and StubHub make for a unique pairing that offers fans a glimpse of free-market popularity among football teams. Each year, StubHub releases an NFL preview, offering insights into what teams and specific games are among the most sought after in the league.
Not surprisingly, Jerry Jones and his Cowboys top the list for the umpteenth time. The Cowboys’ large national appeal make them an unsurprising leader in ticket demand. They outsold the #2 team, the Green Bay Packers, by more than 50%.
2019 Top 10 Most In-Demand NFL Teams*
- Dallas Cowboys
- Green Bay Packers
- Chicago Bears
- New England Patriots
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Cleveland Browns
- Minnesota Vikings
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Los Angeles Chargers
- San Francisco 49ers
*Ranking based on StubHub ticket sales as of 8/22 for the 2019 NFL season
So what does this tell us? There are more people out there willing to shell out money for resold Chargers tickets than any of the other AFC West teams. Yes, it’s true, there are significantly less Chargers tickets to go around than any other team in the league, but that actually increases the enormity of this demand. The raw numbers are compared directly with all of the other teams. The Chargers’ tickets have been purchased at a greater rate than over 2⁄3 of the NFL.
BUT WAIT- we’re not done. The Kansas City Chiefs are also riding their 2018 success to the tune of a 280% increase from last year, even more of a jump than the Chargers. Even with that leap and a cheaper average ticket, they still are landing outside of the top 10. The Chargers simply have more demand than any other division team, which should astound most audiences given the Chargers’ general perception as lacking fan support.
Other misc. bullets of interest to Chargers fans:
- The Chargers are among the Top 10 in in-demand tickets for the first time ever (as are the Browns)
- The Chargers are the most in-demand team in the AFC West, in the state of California, and even along the entire West Coast
- The Chargers’ matchup against the Steelers is the team’s #1 game of 2019, which is also the #8 most in-demand game in all the NFL this year
- The Chargers have the third highest increase in sales, after the Browns and Chiefs
- International audiences are purchasing 19% more than last year, and demand for the actual international games is up 54%
- The Patriots, Cowboys, and Steelers are the most popular teams in Mexico
- California is the #1 purchasing state of NFL merchandise (on eBay)
- There was exactly one more bullet on this list than I had factoids for
So, there you have it. While there’s less “pie” to go around than with other teams, the raw numbers indicate that Chargers fans are more ready to pull out their wallets than most other fanbases. We’ll see how this confidence from an excellent 2018 season translates to this year’s NFL action. The early returns are very impressive.
-Jason “I really can’t explain this” Michaels