Well, Chargers fans, it has been a season to... well, it has been a season! One thing that has been certain is that we never, ever know how either team is going to perform on a given week. The Chargers are just beginning to solidify their identity (and that identity is not offensive prowess, for those keeping score)
Week 9 Chargers @ Bears
- Wager 1 - First half total - Under 20.5 : $ 25.00 [ -105 ] WIN $ 23.81
- Wager 2 - First half - Chargers up by .5 pts : $ 15.00 [ +135 ] L
- Wager 3 - Bears total points - Under 22.5 : $ 35.00 [ -110 ] WIN $ 31.82
- Wager 4 - Chargers first score - Field Goal : $ 15.00 [ +115 ] L
- Wager 5 - Chargers - First Team to 10 pts : $ 10.00 [ +130 ] L
TOTAL PROFIT: $15.63
The Degenerate Gambler’s overall concept of a low-scoring game was pretty accurate. He was happily betting against Trubisky, and was largely rewarded for his lack of faith. On the other side of the coin, he fully expected the Chargers to pull a touchdown out before the half—they did not.
In the end, much like the week prior, he ends Week 9 with another win, and he absolutely won’t complain about that! The Packers coming to town will surely throw a wrench into the Gambler’s schemes.
Week 10 Packers @ Chargers
- Wager 1 - First Quarter - Packers up by .5 : $ 25.00 [ +110 ] Possible win: $27.50
- Wager 2 - Chargers Total Points - Under 21.5 : $ 20.00 [ -120 ] Possible win: $16.67
- Wager 3 - Highest score - 2nd half & OT : $ 30.00 [ -105 ] Possible win: $28.57
- Wager 4 - Longest TD - Under 41.5 yards : $ 25.00 [ -115 ] Possible win: $21.74
TOTAL POSSIBLE WIN: $ 94.48
Not looking good, Chargers fans. The Degenerate Gambler was seriously considering Green Bay (-4) for the spread, but ended up liking the idea that the Packers start the game hot (and giving him his only positive-value bet of the day) in the first quarter.
The Over/Under on this game is a pretty high 48.5, which makes an Under bet look tantalizing. Both teams have a strong defense, but Green Bay has an excellent offense this year. In the end, the Degenerate Gambler felt that he could best rely on the Chargers to maintain their current trajectory: Other than the Dolphins game, the Chargers only scored more than 20 points against Indianapolis (the first game of this year). He likes his under bet for the Chargers, but stopped short of ruling out a Chargers win. There is a good chance that he could win all of his bets this week.
There is a greater chance that he loses them all. Statistically speaking.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the gross and Jackson Pollock-esque art of gambling.
-Jason “Pack it all in” Michaels