The San Diego Chargers open up their 2016 campaign against the Tennessee Titans on the road in Nissan Stadium. This is our first opportunity to see the Chargers play against another football team. We should get some partial answers to a lot of questions:
- Is Derek Watt actually able to deliver crushing blocks in an NFL football game?
- Can Dexter McCoil play safety at the NFL level? We know how good he was as a linebacker in the CFL.
- Has Melvin Gordon gotten more decisive? Will an improved offensive line raise his level of play?
- What does that vaunted 12-personnel package actually look like in live action?
- Does Brandon Mebane instantly transform the run defense the way many think he will?
There are also all of the on-going position battles to watch for. There are five safeties on the roster that could potentially end up starting: Dwight Lowery, Adrian McDonald, Adrian Phillips, Jahleel Addae, and Dexter McCoil. The only one whose job seems safe to start the preseason is Lowery, but how safe is it really?