The San Diego Chargers use their first pick of day three to add depth at linebacker with the 6'4", 254 lbs All-Big Ten linebacker from Ohio State University, Joshua Perry. This is the first fourth-round pick made by Tom Telesco since he took over the Chargers front office.
This is a very Tom Telesco type of pick. Some of the most common words you'll see in scouting reports and draft profiles for Perry are "winner" and "leader." Telesco loves guys like this, and not without good reason. As for what he's actually like between the lines, Perry is a physical inside linebacker that is a clean fit in the Chargers' base defense. He's more of a classic two-down linebacker, though, and will probably not see much action in nickel packages or any obvious passing situations. In essence, he's the (good) type of player that you can find on day three of the draft.
Overall, he's a very good player that fills a need. Hard not to like it. What do you think?
You can read more about the newest Charger here:
- Joshua Perry, LB, OSU - NFL.com
- Joshua Perry, LB, OSU - CBS Sports
- Joshua Perry, LB, OSU - NFL Draft Scout
- PFF scouting report: Joshua Perry, LB, Ohio State
- 2016 NFL Draft Profile: Ohio State linebacker Joshua Perry
- Washington Redskins 2016 Draft Profiles: Joshua Perry, LB
- NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Ohio State LB Joshua Perry
- Chargers Kick Off Day Three By Selecting Ohio State LB Joshua Perry