The Chargers are 2-7 and no real change made during the bye week, it is time to start looking at happier thing, like the fact that the Chargers will have a top 5 draft pick! We will start giving a weekly update on the league's draft order, highlighting the Chargers draft position and players that I think they could target there.
As of 11/17, here is the current NFL draft order.
1. Cleveland Browns: 2-8 (.514 strength of schedule)
2. Tennessee Titans: 2-7 (.507 SOS - 0-5 in conference)
3. Baltimore Ravens: 2-7 (.507 SOS - 2-5 in conference)
4. San Diego Chargers: 2-7 (.510 SOS)
5. Dallas Cowboys: 2-7 (.558 SOS)
6. Detroit Lions: 2-7 (.531 SOS)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: 3-6 (.483 SOS)
8. San Francisco 49ers: 3-6 (.534 SOS)
9. New Orleans Saints: 4-6 (.517 SOS)
10. Miami Dolphins: 4-5 (.483 SOS - 2-5 in conference)
11. Oakland Raiders: 4-5 (.483 SOS - 4-3 in conference)
12. Seattle Seahawks: 4-5 (.490 SOS)
13. Kansas City Chiefs: 4-5 (.497 SOS)
14. St. Louis Rams: 4-5 (.503 SOS - 3-4 in conference)
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 4-5 (.503 SOS - 3-3 in conference)
16. Chicago Bears: 4-5 (.507 SOS)
17. Washington: 4-5 (.517 SOS)
18. Philadelphia Eagles: 4-5 (.524 SOS)
19. Houston Texans: 4-5 (.527 SOS)
20. New York Jets: 5-4 (.479 SOS)
Projected to make the playoffs:
21. Indianapolis Colts: 4-5 (.527 SOS)
22. Buffalo Bills: 5-4 (.527 SOS)
23. New York Giants: 5-5 (.524 SOS)
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: 6-4 (.500 SOS)
25. Atlanta Falcons: 6-3 (.490 SOS)
26. Green Bay Packers: 6-3 (.465 SOS)
27. Arizona Cardinals: 7-2 (.459 SOS)
28. Denver Broncos: 7-2 (.483 SOS - 4-2 in conference)
29. Minnesota Vikings: 7-2 (.483 SOS - 4-1 in conference)
30. Cincinnati Bengals: 8-1 (.432 SOS)
31. Carolina Panthers: 9-0 (.449 SOS)
32. New England Patriots: 9-0 (.473 SOS) - PICK FORFEITED
At the number 4 spot in the draft, the Chargers have a bunch of options. At this point Joey Bosa (Edge - Ohio State) is the number one target for almost any team at this point. The only team picking ahead of San Diego that could be in the mix for a QB is Cleveland so Bosa stands a good chance of being gone. Therefore the other players that could be available are:
Ole Miss DE/DT Robert Nkemdiche - Nkemdiche would be a huge upgrade on the DL across from Corey Liuget and help make up for the fact that the Chargers lack a top notch NT.
Ole MIss OT Laremy Tunsil - I still think the Chargers could use to upgrade the line. Yes center is a more pressing need, but if the Chargers are drafting BPA, Tunsil could very well be the BPA when the Chargers are on the clock at 4 and he has all the tools to be an all pro LT for his whole career.
Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves III - With Eric Weddle likely leaving and Brandon Flowers huge drop off in play, it would not be a bad idea to add a premiere talent to the secondary. Pairing up Hargreaves with Verrett would be an outstanding pair for years to come.
UCLA LB Myles Jack - This would be high for Jack IMO, especially coming off a season ending injury (although he did tweet yesterday that he is already running again so he will be ready by training camp). However Jack is a unique talent and fits Tom Telesco's theme of being "faster" on defense. Jack has true sideline to sideline range, does a good job and has experience in coverage, and is one of the most sure tacklers in college. Like I said, it would be high for him, but the Chargers would see returns immediately.
Trade Down - If the Chargers don't "fall in love" with one of these top tier guys, they could get quite the bounty if they trade down. Like I mentioned only the Browns could be in the market for a QB ahead of San Diego another team could be interested in moving up to get in before the Lions and Jaguars who could both be in the market for a QB.