Denarius Moore, a rookie taken in the 5th round by the Oakland Raiders, finished Thursday night's game with 123 yards and 2 TDs on 5 catches. He burned Quentin Jammer in ways that we haven't seen Jammer get burned in years.
It's time to face facts about the San Diego Chargers. Not all of their problems are the fault of health and Philip Rivers. The defense, in particular, hasn't been very good this season with its new influx of talent and Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky. Here are the numbers:
- The Chargers are allowing 5.8 yards per play, good for 26th best in a 32-team league.
- Opponents are converting 3rd down opportunities against San Diego 46% of the time, making them only slightly better than the worst team in the league in that category (the Colts).
- The Bolts' defense is allowing 25.3 points per game, making them the 27th best team in the league.
- The Chargers have forced 5 fumbles this season, less than any other NFL team.
After the jump, more defensive rankings for the Chargers that will make you cry yourself to sleep.
- San Diego is allowing 7.9 yards per pass attempt, putting them as the 24th best team for that stat.
- The only two teams to allow more than the 17 pass TDs San Diego has allowed are the Broncos and Colts, two teams not exactly known for their defense this season.
- The Chargers are no longer last in the league in sacks, moving up to 23rd with 18 sacks in 9 games.
- The 127.9 rushing yards allowed per game by San Diego is 24th best in the league.
- The 4.5 rushing yards allowed per carrying makes them 20th best.
- The 5 rushing TDs tied the Chargers for 7th best in the league. Yay!
- 10 carries against the 2011 Chargers have gone for more than 20 yards, tying them for 24th best in the league.
Yeah....so....the whole Greg Manusky thing seems be a bust in Year 1. Things get even more worrisome when you see what the 49ers are doing with the same defensive roster Manusky had last season (minus LaBoy and Spikes, of course). The Charger fans and front office will need to see some improvement soon, which will be difficult with all of the health issues, or else they'll start turning on Good Guy Greg.