I didn't know what I was going to write about for this week's "Captain of the Tailgate" post, so I went searching online for a recipe that I knew would make the BFTB crowd drool upon reading it. Two minutes into my search, I found one that seemed to be delivered down from the heavens. Contrary to what you may think, that picture to the right is an actual image taken moments after I first read through this recipe.
The following recipe is blatantly stolen from Suite101.com.
Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Bratwurst (6 servings)
Directions for Grilling
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Put about 18 toothpicks in a glass of water to soak.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion in the butter/margarine. Set aside.
- Cut a three to four-inch slit into each bratwurst, being careful not to cut through to other side. Leave about one half to a full inch of the link intact on each end.
- With a spoon, put sauerkraut inside of slit in bratwurst. Do not over-stuff. Pinch the sausage closed as much as possible. Repeat with other bratwursts.
- Starting at one end of the bratwurst, wrap the bacon around the bratwurst until the bacon is a spiral down the length of the sausage. Allow some of the bratwurst casing to show (this may mean cutting bacon strips so that they are not too long).
- Pierce sausages with the wet toothpicks in a few places, going all the way through the bacon and the bratwurst to keep the bacon in place.
- Place bacon-wrapped bratwursts on grill. Turn the sausages occasionally with tongs.
- Cook until bacon is at desired crispiness and the bratwursts show no hint of pink inside and juices from the slit are running clear. Bratwursts should be done when the casings are a medium-brown color.
- Carefully remove the toothpicks from the bratwursts prior to serving. Caution: toothpicks may be hot!
- Place bratwursts in buns; top with onions and favorite condiments.
Bratwurst Serving Suggestions
- For added flavor, soak bratwursts in a steaming beer and onion bath (using this recipe) about 30 minutes.
- Top bratwursts with favorite shredded cheese before serving.
- Enjoy the bratwursts with a favorite brew of beer!
- Serve with pierogies. To lessen carbohydrates, omit buns.