Quarterback PHILIP RIVERS of the San Diego Chargers, cornerback DARRELLE REVIS of the New York Jets and kick returner-wide receiver JOSHUA CRIBBS of the Cleveland Browns are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for December/January, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB PHILIP RIVERS, SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
- Rivers completed 93 of 137 passes (67.9 percent) for 1,316 passing yards with nine touchdowns versus three interceptions and a 111.5 passer rating as San Diego posted a 5-0 record.
- He helped the Chargers continue their December success, as the club has won an NFL-record 18 consecutive games in December (2006-present). That ties the 1970-74 Miami Dolphins (18 in November) for the most consecutive games won in a calendar month since 1970.
- His 111.5 passer rating was an NFL-best during the month and his nine touchdown passes tied for second-best in the league.
- He helped the Chargers win their fourth straight AFC West title and secure a No.2 seed in the AFC playoffs.
- In 2009, Rivers became the first Charger to record a 100+ passer rating in consecutive seasons (105.5 in 2008; 104.4 in 2009).
- In his sixth season from North Carolina State, this is Rivers’ second career Player of the Month Award. He previously won the award in December of 2008.