Every year at this time I like to keep myself feeling optimistic by coming up with a list of picks I'd like to drop to our pick. Since we're picking at 25, I'd want 25 guys. I'm going to assume the top 3 QBs will be off the board though, and go for a 22-man list. This was much easier when we were picking at 11. Here we go then.
*Disclaimer: I know very little, and my opinions are worth less
1. Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carloina – Well duh.
2. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn –Robinson and Fluker side-by-side for a year would be fun. Bookending them for the next 10 wouldn’t be so bad either.
3. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson – Best WR prospect since Keenan Allen?
4. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo – Mayock loves him. I love Mayock.
5. Mike Evans, WR, A&M – Could be V-JAX to Allen’s Gates.
6. Jake Mathews, OT, A&M – Would’ve loved him at 11 last year, certainly would at 25 this year.
7. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU – Really like this guy and seems like he’s being under-valued because he’s small. Do we really use our corners in a way where that’d matter?
8-11. Justin Gilbert/Darqueze Denard/Bradley Roby/Kyle Fuller/CB, Oklahoma/Mich. State/Ohio State/Virginia Tech – One day I’ll have some time and actually look at these guys. I’m struggling to separate them though, and I can’t say I’d be unhappy with any of them at this point.
12. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA – A gamble but I love the upside.
13. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina – Can you have too many TEs? I say no.
14. Odell Beckham jr., WR, LSU – Kyle "Mayock 2.0" Posey loves him, and I’m convinced.
15. Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt – Yeah, ok, I don’t really know how he’d fit. He’s really good though and we’re not in a position to turn down talent on D.
16. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State – Mike and Tommy want speed. Me too.
17. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama – If all the corners didn’t give it away, I’d like some help for Eric Weddle.
18. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville – More DBs. More!
19. Xavier Su’a-Filo, G, UCLA – Distinctly not Clary.
20. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan – Similar to feelings about Mathews. But less so.
21. Zack Martin, OT/G, Notre Dame – Versatile O line talent is never a bad thing.
22. Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn – Instead of drafting 7 DBs, we could just generate some pass rush, I guess.
There we go. Not too bad, and some guys I didn't list because I didn't think we'd take (eg. Mosley) will most likely be off the board too. Of course, based on my experience of watching the Chargers draft, half of these will be there and we'll take someone else entirely, but I enjoy doing it anyway. Anyone here you'd be unhappy with? Anyone I missed that you'd love?