I honestly have done more mock drafts on this simulator as I can remember . Many of the players on here are out of ranking and tend to fall a lot, as well as get reached upon. So here's my recent one.
- Round 1: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State - I had so many options, including pass rushers such as Dee Ford and Ryan Shazier (in whom i really admire) and along with Odell Beckham Jr. and a long list of receivers. But Gilbert is the pick that makes sense. The guy is the type of corner that can really develop as the Charger's #1 for years to come. The guy did great at the combine by running a sub 4.4 40 yard-dash and benched 20 reps. He comes in at about 6'0 which is great for competing with these taller receivers. His ball skills are tremendous and can even possibly take over the return game. This would be a tremendous pick if he fell to this spot.
- Round 2: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State- This one was tough for me. I could have easily gone with Stephon Tuitt who was easily the best ball player available but here is the reason I chose him. I really disliked Jeromy Clary at guard and I really hope Tom Telesco cuts him. Assuming Telesco does bring back Rinehart however, that leaves still only 2 guards on the roster. Gabe Jackson is a mauler in the run game who also, shows good lateral agility. I can only imagine the potential Coach D can bring out of this guy, especially because Jackson ran the zone blocking scheme in college. Suddenly the o-line, in which was the Charger's biggest need a couple years ago, will start to look like a strength if this pick plays out.
- Round 3: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State- Great run stuffer who can potentially be the answer for the middle of the D-line. He comes in at 6-4, 322 pounds and will attract double teams.
- Round 4: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood- Maybe a little bit of a project but has great potential. At 6'1, he is one of the tallest corners in the draft and with the corner situation last year, you can't go wrong with this.
- Round 5: Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama- Great motor and has possesses the traits to succeed at the next level. Need depth at position.
- Round 6: Josh Mauro, DE, Stanford- Gets over shadowed teammateTrent Murphy but has a good tape. Great depth and value at this pick.
- Round 7: Austin Franklin, WR, New Mexico State- I'm assuming Tom Telesco will surprise us like last year with the 7th round pick but I will ago with receiver here. At 5'11 , Franklin ran a 4.56 40 yard-dash. He has great acceleration of the line of scrimmage and even isn't afraid to go run block. Shows strong hands and is a tough guy to bring down as he shows toughness and keeps his legs moving after contact.
After viewing these picks , you can see that this is very defensive biased. But depth in the defense is what the Chargers lacked last year and I'm hoping Tom attacks these needs thoroughly. For those who want to try there own mock draft go to www.fanspeak.com/ontheclock . Please leave comments below and hope you enjoyed this mock draft. IN TOM TELESCO WE TRUST.