Before I begin, please note that this the best case scenario and does not mean that I believe it will happen. This is what I wish happened.
The Chargers have holes on offense and defense. Now, what should they do in the 2014 draft to fill those holes and make them a strongsuit? Let's see...
Ok, I think everyone can agree that this is Philip Rivers' last chance to prove that he is still an elite QB. Philip Rivers has regressed at a fast pace. The blame was put on Norv Turner and also on the O-Line. It may be true, as Rivers looked like an elite QB Monday night against the Texans... Until the 4th quarter. Kevin Acee from Union Tribune wrote an article about Rivers, he said," Rivers is the worst quarterback in the 4th quarter". I think it is safe to say that if Rivers fails with the new system, the Chargers will draft a QB in 2014.
Here are the options that could be available:
The Chargers could possibly get one of these QBs, wether it be in the 1st or 2nd round. AJ Maccaron is a game changer and leader. The question now is if he will be available. Marcus Mariota has mobility, vision, throwing arm, speed, everything. He would be the ideal fit. Johnny Manziel lacks maturity and that could scare teams away from him. Aaron Murray could also be an option like Maccaron. Fales and Hundley are both QBs that need to play against better teams to prove themselves.
They also need a LT. They have a hole there and they must fix it as well. Here are the options...
Ever since McNeil decided to retire, the Chargers have been left with a big hole in LT. We all know that King Dunlap is a temporary solution and that the true LT will come in this draft. They could get Lewan, Matthews, or Koundijio with their top 15 pick. Richardson and Hurst may be a late 1st round or an early 2nd round. Which one do you guys prefer?
These are my predictions for the 2014 draft.
- The Chargers will have a top 10 pick.
- Only 2 OT will be taken in the first 10 picks. That leaves the Chargers with 3 options at OT.
- The Chargers will trade down from their 7-10 pick to 12-15 pick. They will receive the other team's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and the 2015's 2nd round pick.
- The Chargers will draft Cyrus Koundijio.
- The Chargers will use their 2nd round picks and move up the board to draft Marcus Mariota, if he declares for the draft, either in the late 1st round or early 2nd. With Mariota being Samoan, he would fit in to SD's community of Samoans along with Te'O in the team. He would also bring a more dynamic offense to SD. If Mariota is not available, I think the Chargers will lean towards Maccaron because of his leadership, game changing abilities, and because he is a winner (25-2) over the last 2 years. He is like an Eli Manning, but Maccaron is not a douche. In the end, I think it will be a battle between Maccaron and Mariota.
- They will draft De'Anthony Thomas from Oregon with their 2nd round pick. He will fill the gap that Sproles left.They could possibly move up to get him in the 2nd round, they could just use a 4th round pick to trade for that slot in the draft.
- They will use their 2nd pick in the 2nd round to draft a CB, it could be Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Luchiez Purifoy, or Aaron Colvin. This pick would fill in the gap that Cason left. Plus, Wright is not solid and the Chargers need to upgrade there.
-If the Chargers were to have a high 1st round pick (3-6) and traded down to the 8th spot and traded down again to the 12 spot, if the OT they're looking for is not drafted, they could get 2 1st round pick and 2 2nd round picks. They could use one of those 1st round picks to draft Watkins or Evans.
The Chargers would fill in the CB hole, their RB/WR hole, and O-Line hole and QB hole.