Ah, whatever. Preseason games don't matter. The Ryan Leaf Chargers went 4-0 in the preseason at least once. I think the 14-2 Chargers of 2006 went 0-4 in the preseason. None of this matters.
Here are my quick takeaways from the game, although we'll have much, much more in the coming days:
- Philip Rivers still looks slow to recognize what the defense is giving him. He's not getting the ball out in 3 seconds. Neither is Charlie Whitehurst, although Brad Sorensen is.
- The starting offensive line looked okay, but it's not like Seattle was bringing the house against them.
- Ryan Mathews looked pretty good. I want to go back through the tape and see if he had two hands on the ball while going through the hole, though.
- Robert Meachem looked as bad as Keenan Allen looked good. Keenan Allen looked really good.
- I still have no idea who the starting Nickel CB is, and Darrell Stuckey looked so lost at Strong Safety that it definitely can't be Marcus Gilchrist.
- Kwame Geathers looked really solid as the backup Nose Tackle.
- The team has a lot of depth at Running Back.
- Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Royal is too good to be getting extended looks in the preseason while also being not good enough to actually make the team.
- The defense is really going to struggle. They have the talent at the top to compete early in the year, but no depth at all. They will struggle to stop anyone after the first few injuries, I think.
- Dwight Freeney might be good enough to carry the pass rush all by himself.