— Michael Gehlken (@UTgehlken) August 31, 2013
A.J Smith's last gasp to retain his job as GM of the San Diego Chargers included signing OT Jared Gaither and WR Robert Meachem. Now, before a regular season game has even been played in 2013, Tom Telesco has released both players.
In his first season, Robert Meachem never lived up to his promise in San Diego, was never able to replicate his output as a member of the New Orleans Saints, and was not able to replace WR Vincent Jackson in the Chargers' offense.
I embedded that tweet from Michael Gehlken above because he was the first to have the story but, according to Spotrac, Meachem actually costs the team $10.625 million in dead money against the cap after being released. The good news is that it frees up more money from the 2014 salary cap for the San Diego Chargers.
More from Bolts From The Blue:
- NFL Roster Cuts: San Diego Chargers release TE Ben Cotton
- Open Thread: 2013 NFL Final Cut Day
- NFL roster cuts: Chargers cuts start coming in
- Chargers rosters cuts are in: 11 players released released, including Max Starks and Stephen Schilling
- NFL Roster Cuts: Prediction for San Diego Chargers 53-man roster