The San Diego Chargers start their mini camp today it will continue tomorrow and Sunday.
All three days will be closed to the public and the media is only allowed in today, and only allowed to shoot photography and video for about 15 minutes during the "individual period" of practice. Mike McCoy and a few players will be speaking after practice today.
So, this is just practice?
It's a practice. Here's what the CBA says of the "Rookie football development program":
Each Club may hold a Rookie football development program for a period of seven weeks, commencing on or about May 16. During this period, no mandatory or voluntary activities can be held on weekends, with the exception of the Club's one post-Draft Rookie Minicamp, which at the Club's election may be conducted on either the first or second weekend following the College Draft. Players may only participate in Club activities for a maximum of ten hours per day.
Who is going to be there?
26 guys that we know of, and probably a lot more "invites" that we don't know about.
6 draft picks
- 1 (11): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama
- 2 (38): ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
- 3 (76): WR Keenan Allen, California
- 5 (145): CB Steve Williams, California
- 6 (179): DE/OLB Tourek Williams, Florida International
- 7 (221): QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah
20 undrafted free agents
- Jahleel Addae, DB, Central Michigan
- Nick Becton, T, Virginia Tech
- Frank Beltre, LB , Towson
- Greg Brown, DB, Kansas
- Ben Cotton, TE, Nebraska
- Marcus Cromartie, DB, Wisconsin
- Mike Hermann, QB, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia
- Michael Hill, RB, Missouri Western
- Byron Jerideau, NT, South Carolina
- Josh Johnson, DB, Purdue
- Richard Kent, P, Vanderbilt
- Jamarkus McFarland, DE, Oklahoma
- Daniel Molls, LB, Toledo
- Brandon Moore, DE, Texas
- Kenny Okoro, DB, Wake Forest
- Randy Richards, T, Missouri State
- David Rolf, TE, Utah
- Luke Tasker, WR, Cornell
- Devan Walker, LB, Southeastern Louisiana
Who isn't going?
The veterans. At least, not yet.
What to Watch For
How good/bad does Keenan Allen's knee look?
Will they be testing him in drills, or just walking him through the playbook? Basically, is this a player that is recovering from an injury or one that is still injured?
Sorensen vs. Hermann
The two rookie QBs in camp are polar opposites, and both might have a chance to unseat Charlie Whitehurst as the team's backup QB in 2013. The competition between these two starts now.
Will Steve Williams see any time on the outside?
Due to his size, most of us are assuming that Steve Williams will be given a shot as the team's Nickel CB...but what if he's given a shot to win the starting spot opposite Derek Cox?
When will the veterans be showing up?
"OTAs", or Organized Team Activities, start on Monday morning. They're not mandatory, but with a new coaching staff I would expect to see a lot of veterans coming in to get some hands-on teaching of the new offensive system being installed.
Here's your full schedule of team activities between now and training camp:
|Rookie Minicamp||May 10-12|
|Mandatory Minicamp||June 11-13|