Chargers linebacker Melvin Ingram will return to practice Wednesday as a limited participant, per source. He suffered torn ACL in May.— Michael Gehlken (@UTgehlken) November 19, 2013
The San Diego Chargers waited until the absolute last minute to make their decision on this one. I believe, had they waited until tomorrow, Melvin Ingram would be put on the Injured-Reserve list for the remainder of the season.
What the Chargers actually did today was remove Melvin Ingram from the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) list. They now have a three-week window in which he can practice with the team without being added to the roster. Sometime within that three week window, the team has to either add Ingram to the roster or put him on the Injured-Reserve list for the remainder of the season.
This is nothing to get excited about yet. Taking Ingram off the PUP list is simply the first step in gauging how close he is to returning to action. My guess is that he'll get some time as a backup in the final three games of the season, just to knock some of the rust off.
More from Bolts From The Blue:
- Keenan Allen: San Diego Chargers Team Leader?
- BFTB OC Meetup: Breakfast and Chargers football
- BFTB Roundtable: Can the San Diego Chargers make the 2013 NFL playoffs?
- San Diego Mayoral Election: Who will build the Chargers a new stadium?
- Chargers-Dolphins final score: San Diego drops third consecutive game in 20-16 loss to Miami