Let's see if I remember how to do this....
Mike McCoy is nearing the halfway point of his first season as Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers, which is also his first season as an NFL Head Coach.
Under his watchful eye, the Chargers offense has gone from 24th best in the league in 2012 to 3rd best in the league in 2013. Philip Rivers is having the best year of his career by every measurable statistic, just months after many thought he was in the middle of a downslope that would end with him out of the league. The offensive line, in roughly the same position it was last year in terms of health and talent, is on pace to give up the least amount of sacks for a Chargers offensive line since 2009. Ryan Mathews has returned to his 2011 level of production.
However, the Chargers defense has fallen to pieces. After finishing as the 18th best defense in 2012, John Pagano's group currently ranks dead last (32nd) in the league. The new secondary players and coach haven't had much success, the pass rush almost doesn't exist and star players such as Donald Butler, Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes have seen a drop-off in production since McCoy took over.
Some other random things that have changed since McCoy (and Tom Telesco) took over:
- Uniforms have been updated
- Team captains now wear the captain's "C" patch on their jerseys
- The grass on the practice field has been replaced with new grass
- A storage/holding area at Chargers Park near the media center has been turned into a garden
- The media center has been painted, on the inside, with legendary Chargers players and coaches
- LaDainian Tomlinson, now an employee of the NFL Network, has been embraced by the Chargers team
And probably some other stuff that I'm not remembering at the moment. Vote below and tell me in the comments why you voted the way you did.