When the San Diego Chargers win, Philip Rivers is usually nominated to be the FedEx "Air" Player of the Week and he usually wins. This week, when the running game was the hero for the San Diego offense in their win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, a couple of other guys are nominated for awards.
Ryan Mathews is nominated to be the FedEx "Ground" Player of the Week, going up against Marshawn Lynch and Chris Ivory. Mathews is the only one that had over 100 rushing yards and a touchdown, and is actually the only player in the entire league this season to have back-to-back games with 100+ rushing yards. He's the clear favorite to win, but you're going to want to click here and vote for him anyway.
D.J. Fluker, who was moved from right tackle to left tackle after the early injuries to King Dunlap and Mike Remmers, is nominated to be the Pepsi Next Rookie of the Week. Mathews ran for 19 yards on six carries to the left or right of Fluker at his new position. D.J. was responsible for a few pass rushers getting through to put pressure on Philip Rivers immediately after moving to the left side, but eventually settled down and consistently provided his QB with plenty of protection. Click here to vote for him as the week's best NFL rookie.
More from Bolts From The Blue:
- Week 7 Grades: San Diego Chargers at Jacksonville Jaguars
- Brandon Meriweather suspended for game against Chargers
- GIF Recap: Chargers win over Jaguars (featuring Nicolas Cage!)
- Bolts & Dolts: Chargers wipe the floor with winless Jaguars
- Chargers-Jaguars Final Score: San Diego wins 24-6 against hapless Jacksonville team