July 26, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano (left)n gives instruction during training camp at Charger Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE
I think you know how this works by now. John Pagano joined Josh & Charod on 1090AM today and I haven't listened to the interview yet. Join me as I listen and take notes.
- Coach Pagano liked what he saw against the Packers. Saw a lot of passion and effort from his guys, which is what he was looking for.
- Charod kind of snidely asks if health is the only thing keeping Larry English from being a good NFL player right now. Pagano answers yes, because what the hell else is he going to say?
- John likes to talk. Just went on a rant about how injuries in one spot can turn into injuries in other spots, comparing English to Shawne Merriman. He then complimented English on being "big, physical and explosive" and said that he continues to support Larry.
- Charod asks Coach if he's going to be more aggressive and blitz more. They both laugh about how there's only one way to answer the question, and then Pagano answers it that way. In a nutshell, he's saying that he'll blitz as much as necessary but not more or less than that.
- Charod tries to give Coach Pagano a chance to bash Greg Manusky's 2011 defense and John doesn't take the bait. He says this is a different year, a different group of guys and last year's team was killed by injuries. Classy.
- "This team right now was not last in 3rd down defense. That was last year's team. We have to learn from our past."
- Ugh. Josh just asked Coach Pagano if he's yet to have the moment yet where he's realized that Melvin Ingram is "ready". That's such a loaded question. If he says yes, it puts pressure on Ingram to get starting time on the field. If he says no, it's insulting to what Ingram has done so far. Guess what Pagano is going to do....
- Coach Pagano goes over all the reasons that they drafted Melvin ("He's big and explosive") and then says that you can tell that Ingram, Kendall Reyes and Brandon Taylor all "love the game of football." Perfect.
- Coach Pagano is going to make a fine head coach one day. Rex Ryan would've botched that....on purpose.
- "Melvin has a lot to learn. He's a rookie. He knows that. He understands that. He takes everything in like a sponge."
- When pressed about who the starting defensive line is, Pagano admits that "You're always looking at it" and says that the strength of this year's defense is that the excellent depth is breeding good competition and it's forcing players to get better.
- "As far as the roster goes, right now, nothing is set. They're out there playing and we're evaluating."
- Pagano mentions that he was brought to the Chargers organization the same year that they drafted Quentin Jammer. He's singing Quentin's praises.