Your friend, and team doctor for the San Diego Chargers, David Chao is at it again. Kind of.
Today, a jury ruled on a malpractice lawsuit filed by Whitney Engler against Dr. Chao in 2006. They ruled in favor of Ms. Engler, who was 15 years old when she was a patient of Chao's and suffered frostbite and disfigurement due to a cold-therapy device that was prescribed to her.
Ms. Engler has been awarded $5.2 million in damages, but don't worry. Dr. Chao is only responsible for half of that (the other half is the burden of the company that manufactures the device) and his insurance will undoubtedly cover it.
This is the third such case that has been ruled against Chao since 2009 (totaling $8.79 million in damages awarded) and it follows a recent reprimanding by the California state medical board for not disclosing a 2007 drunk-driving conviction. Quite a guy to be leading a medical staff in charge of the Chargers, a team that has had difficulty staying healthy under his watch.
- San Diego Chargers Daily Links: July 27, 2012
- San Diego Chargers: Shopping for a Backup QB
- San Diego Chargers Sign QB Kyle Boller
- Historical Training Camp Locations: San Diego Chargers at the Rough Acres Ranch (FanShot)
- San Diego Chargers: What's The Biggest Offseason Question?
Save Ferris - The World Is New (via SaveFerrisVEVO)