- Experience: No one knows the offense better than Rivers and Whitehurst better have learned something holding that clipboard for years.
- Level of play: Unless 2011 was a new baseline for Rivers, he's an upper echelon QB capable of both putting teams away by scoring nearly at will or making great comebacks with his playmaking abilities.
- Leadership: Rivers, El Capitan, has been known to make offensive lines and receiver play better than their capabilities would suggest.
- Health: Rivers doesn't miss games. Whitehurst stayed healthy enough to carry the clipboard week in and week out.
- Depth: There's only one Philip Rivers. This is only a weakness because the dropoff is so high from #1 to #2. Also, the 3rd string QB is an undrafted free agent signing who didn't look very good in college.
- Speed: Rivers is not known for his scrambling ability.