Gates is the man. But, what if he gets hurt again? (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)
- Experience: Gates is a 10 year veteran. McMichael is an 11 year veteran with 2 years in the Chargers system.
- Level of play: Gates is a perennial Pro Bowler and future Hall of Famer.
- Depth: In addition to the two experienced veterans Green is a very promising draft pick. Also, Rosario has been around the block and Sperry has been in the Chargers system for a couple years.
- Upside: Green is promising enough that he potentially could make an impact on offense as a rookie part time player.
- Health: This is all about Antonio Gates. Injuries have made him both miss games and play less effectively in recent years.
- Downside: This goes hand-in-hand with Gates' health. If he misses games you start to worry about McMichael's age and Green's youth. There are certainly decent options to turn to (as noted when depth was listed as a strength), but you could make the case that any and all could be busts in 2012.