Today on XX-1090 in their new show, Josh and Charod asked Jason Cole (of Yahoo sports) if the Chargers have gotten better or worse... Jason replied (Paraphrasing) "how did they get better? They lost VJ, Dielman, Tolbert...How did get better? Meachem is a complementary player and VJ was a Beast. Tolbert is a very good 3rd back and ST player...blah, blah, blah..."
More after the jump...IMHO, I think the Chargers are going to be better in 2012 (obviously if healthy) in certain areas and worse in other and there are some areas we can't make assessment yet:
1) RB - On paper, we got worse because none of the RB available are as good as Tolbert but with the addition of McClain (which I think is a more physical FB than Tolbert and Hester) we could actually improve our running game.
2) OL - Worse. No matter how you want to spin it, if you lose players like Dielman and McNeil there is going to drop off in the level of play. However, Green played well after Dielman went down and the OL excelled the last 5 games season. I hope they can keep the same level of play but there are concerns.
3) WR - Here is where some people think we will drop off the most and I disagree. Obviously, not one guy in this core is better than VJ BUT Royal is an upgrade over Crayton, Brown with a more year under his belt and a whole off season is going to be better, and Meachem is a decent player with tons of potential. So for me they are going be better as an unit.
4) TE - They added Rosario so they should be slightly better.
5) PR/KR - Royal >> Crayton et al.
6) ST – Hard to asses until whole team is assembled. The lost of Tolbert might be hard to replace but I am not concerned.
7) DL - Hard to asses until whole team is assembled. It needs depth, signing back El Toro and Garay would a long way.
8) LB – Better. Added JJ.
9) Secondary – No difference – Switch Gregory by Bigby so it seems there is not a big difference.
What do you guys think, have the Chargers gotten better or worse so far?