Game Book: Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers

Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE

Each week, we look through the official game book released by the NFL and pick out interesting tidbits from the previous Chargers game.

  • San Diego Chargers held the Denver Broncos to a 25% conversation rate on third downs.
  • Here's the bad news: The Chargers were so bad on first and second down that the Broncos only faced third down 8 times. 6 of those 8 times were in the first half.
  • The Chargers had 7 offensive drives in which they also had the lead. The Broncos had the ball and the lead just twice.
  • 9 of the 10 longest offensive plays for San Diego were running plays. 5 of the 9 pass plays were from the shotgun formation.
  • All 10 of the Broncos' 10 longest offensive plays were passing plays. 7 of them were from the shotgun formation.
  • The Chargers' offensive playtime percentages are incredibly predictable. Philip Rivers and the offensive line played 100% of the snaps. Malcom Floyd played 96% of the snaps. Antonio Gates played 92% of the snaps. Same old story.
  • Ryan Mathews, who apparently still can't pass-block, was in on just 55% (41) of the offensive snaps. Ronnie Brown (32) and Jackie Battle (2) were in on the other 45%.
  • Le'Ron McClain (25%) and Randy McMichael (44%) got a fair amount of snaps, trying to help out the offensive line.
  • Robert Meachem, who is still trying to develop chemistry with the QB and still trying to learn the playbook, was on the field for 91% of the offensive plays.
  • Defensive players that played every snap include: Eric Weddle, Atari Bigby, Donald Butler and Antoine Cason. Quentin Jammer missed two snaps after his interception return.
  • Against a passing offense that could not be stopped in the second half, Jarret Johnson played 66% of the snaps against Melvin Ingram's 25%. The under-use of Ingram is one of the major storylines of this 2012 Chargers season.
  • Shaun Phillips, who broke down due to overuse last season and left the defense with a gaping hole, played on 88% of the defensive plays.
  • Corey Liuget (34) topped Vaughn Martin (30) for most snaps among defensive linemen. Aubrayo Franklin, Cam Thomas and Kendall Reyes each had 22 snaps.
SB Nation Featured Video
X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Bolts From The Blue

You must be a member of Bolts From The Blue to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bolts From The Blue. You should read them.

Join Bolts From The Blue

You must be a member of Bolts From The Blue to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bolts From The Blue. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker