Sorry for the late post. I got a little behind from some holiday festivities. Hope some of you still enjoy the late breakdown.
This week Jeromey Clary had a pretty good game. Usually he excels at run blocking and sometimes has trouble with pass protection. Against the Ravens, however, he has a solid day. Still not an all-pro...but better.
Clary ends the game with a 92% and +1 run assignment grade and a 83% and -1 pass assignment grade. He gives up one sack in the first half but holds his own on most every other snap.
Let's take a look at the rest of those grades...
If you like this article check out more film breakdown at Pro Football Spotlight
|Team Run Blocking
||Power Blocking Score
||2nd Level Blocks
|Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the mid 80s to 90% is a decent score.
||How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? These scores are good for comparing across teams and finding the most dominant lineman in the league.
||Anything over zero is a good score. The more over zero the more the lineman dominated the defender. Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the defender.
||The number of success over failures for the lineman when blocking linebackers and safeties on the second level. The lineman must be athletic to accomplish a high second level score.
Run Blocking Grades
Run Blocking Notes:
- At 9:05 in the 1st quarter, both Nick Hardwick and Tyronne Green get good movement on a double team run block.
- Tyronne Green also has a nice pull block at 4:51 in hte 1st quarter that allows the running back to score. You can see him, below. He is right in front of the running back. Louis Vasquez and Nick Hardwick have really driven their defenders inside.
**Pic from Chargers game on NBC
- It seems like I show one of these clips every week. Its Jeromy Clary and Louis Vasquez driving some defender down the field...and those Raven Lineman aren't slouches, either. You can see the two, below. it is at the beginning of the play and they have started to drive #92 down the field. Nice!
**Pic from Chargers game
- I'm not sure what the Chargers are thinking...but Jerad Gaither is doing a pretty good job for them. Could he be a Charger next year?
- To see how an offensive lineman has done in previous weeks then go, here.
|Team Pass Blocking
||Passing Power Blocking
|Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the 90% is a good score for pass blocking.
||How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the block.||How often did the offensive lineman give up pressure on the quarterback? Every once and a while a lineman can do his job but give up pressure on the QB. This stat will help glean more info from the line grades.
||How often did the offensive coordinator provide help for a tough defender or a struggling lineman. Yea, two lineman ended up with the same grade...but how much help did either of them get?
Pass Blocking Grades
Pass Blocking Notes:
- Tyronne Green has a rough day in pass protection. But we should know that by now. His strength is run blocking. He ends the day with a -4 dominance score.
- You can see Green in the pic, below. He is just getting bull rushed by one of the defenders.
**Pic from Chargers game on NBC
- Both Hardwick and Louis Vasquez have a nice day in pass protection...both score in the 90% range.
- As always, the tight ends and backs film grades...click the bar, below.
Tight ends and Backs article