"Complete the pass! Complete it or I'll sock you!" (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
After three consecutive impressive victories, some people are starting to wonder if maybe we got ahead of ourselves a month ago when we called for Norv Turner and A.J. Smith to be fired "no matter what". Maybe the circumstances were simply wrong and now they're being made right.
Here's what the 2011 San Diego Chargers have had to deal with:
- Losing their highest paid defensive player (Luis Castillo) in Week 1.
- Losing their Kicker (Nate Kaeding) in Week 1.
- Losing 3 Linebackers that were expected to contribute (Jonas Mouton, Stephen Cooper, Larry English) early on in the season.
- Losing their Pro Bowl LT (Marcus McNeill) and Pro Bowl LG (Kris Dielman).
- Losing their starting SS and key offseason free agent acquisition (Bob Sanders) early on.
- Having their Pro Bowl TE (Antonio Gates) miss games or play at half-speed (without practice) due to injury.
- Having their top two WRs (Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd) miss games and plenty of practice time due to injury.
- Having their Pro Bowl QB (Philip Rivers) go through the worst 6-game stretch of his career without any real explanation.
- Having a brand new Defensive Coordinator and new Special Teams coach, without the benefit of an offseason to install their schemes.
Who should stay/go?
Both should stay (212 votes)
Norv Turner should stay (187 votes)
AJ Smith should stay (174 votes)
Both should be fired (408 votes)
981 total votes