FanPost

Offensive Playcalling vs the Jaguars

This week featured our boys jumping out to a three touchdown lead along with an ankle injury to our fumble prone future star.  We used the pass to stake our lead, and Mr. Tolbert to hold on to it.  This ladies and gentlemen, is the template.  We also saw the continued ineffectivenes of Sproles running the ball (outside of the one wildcat play - which was pretty nifty).  The fact that the offense didn't miss a beat after the Mathews injury is a mixed bag.  It says a lot about the development of Tolbert as a ball carrier, but you'd kind of like to see Mathews be a notch above in a perfect world.  As you might guess, I threw the Volek possessions out.

The Chargers passed on 31 of 57 (54%) snaps and ran the other 26 (46%) plays .  This is the exact balance we'd like to see all year.  The running plays went 11 times to the left, 10 times to the right, and 5 times up the middle, which was also nicely balanced.  

 

First

Second

Third

Run

21 (70%)

5 (25%)

0 (0%)

Pass

9 (30%)

15 (75%)

7 (100%)

 

Would you believe me if I told you we had 30 first down plays and only 7 third down plays?  That's a sign of an offense that is humming.  This weeks creepy stat to keep an eye on was that all five of our 2nd down runs went to the left.

When Mathews and Tolbert were in the backfield, we saw 21 runs and 11 passes.  With Sproles back there we ran 5 measly runs to go along with 20 pass plays.  We saw a healthy mix of all three backs on first and second down, with Sproles handling all the third downs.

After the break we have a wonderful example of Philip Rivers following the expert advice of his coaches on the one wildcat play they ran.  Hat tip to Norv for making opposing defensive coordinators get just a little distracted by this bit of film.

This FanPost was written by a member of the Bolts From The Blue community and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Bolts From The Blue editors or SB Nation.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Bolts From The Blue

You must be a member of Bolts From The Blue to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bolts From The Blue. You should read them.

Join Bolts From The Blue

You must be a member of Bolts From The Blue to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bolts From The Blue. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker