Dogpile on Campbell! (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Because of odd scheduling, it has been a while since I've actually done one of these. Because of that, we're going to be leaving the historical stuff out and focusing on where the teams rank today.
Raiders Running the Ball
- 5th in Yards/Game (139.7).
- 4th in Yards/Carry (4.7).
- 11th in Rush TDs (9).
- 16th in Runs for 1st downs (21.6%).
- 2nd in Runs for 20+ Yards (14).
- 24th in Fumbles (7).
Chargers Stopping the Run
- 3rd in Yards/Game allowed (81.1).
- 3rd in Yards/Carry allowed (3.5).
- 13th in Rush TDs allowed (8).
- 4th in Runs for 1st downs against (18.6%).
- 2nd in Runs for 20+ Yards allowed (3).
- 32nd in Fumbles recovered (1).
A very good, but maybe not great, rushing defense. The lack of fumbles forced and recovered seems odd, perhaps just unlucky, and ideally you would like for the defense to be better at stopping goal-line runs from turning into TDs.
However, with that being said, it would appear that no team is going to come into San Diego and run all over them to victory. This is not a defense that is going to put the game out of reach for the high-powered Chargers offense, and that's really all you could ask for.
Raiders Throwing the Ball
- 27th in Yards/Game (196.1)
- 23rd in Yards/Attempt (6.8)
- 24th in TDs (12)
- 26th in Passes for 1st down (30.7%)
- 22nd in Passes for 20+ yards (30)
- 29th in Sacks taken (33)
- 20th in Interceptions thrown (13)
This one is difficult to break down because the Raiders have been so inconsistent with their passing offense this season. In 11 games, the Raiders have throw for less than 200 yards 5 times (and are 1-4 in those games, with the 1 win being against the Chargers). In a nutshell, outside of a half of football here or there (including the 2nd half of the Chargers game), the Raiders are one of the worst teams in the league at throwing the ball.
Chargers Defending the Pass
- 2nd in Yards/Game allowed (192.5).
- 2nd in Yards/Attempt (6.4).
- 4th in TDs allowed (11).
- 5th in Passes for 1st downs allowed (30.6%).
- 1st in Passes for 20+ yards allowed (26).
- 1st in Sacks (33).
- 10th in Interceptions (13).